Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A Change in the Wind

The prevailing winds in this part of Texas are from the south. This means that for most of the year we have hot relatively dry weather. This also means that for large parts of the year, women walk around with very little clothing on. Yesterday the wind changed. A front moved in from the north bringing with it cooler weather and a north wind. I rejoice when this happens because women begin wearing less revealing clothing.

I understand that I am making some broad generalizations about male and female behavior patterns.

I have to believe that women wear what they wear largely in ignorance of what occurs in guy's heads when they see women thusly attired. I have to believe this, because if they are not acting in ignorance, then they are acting maliciously, and I am reticent to believe that a large percent of the female population is simply cruel.

I want to take a moment to confess my complicity in creating an environment where women feel the need to wear what they wear. One of the reasons for this is because we men look. Culpability lies on both sides of the modesty issue. If men did not look, women would not be as pressured to to dress immodestly.

Granting the double guilt implied in this "chicken or the egg" scenario, I would like to argue for modesty. Modesty is attractive. A girl who dresses revealingly leaves little to the imagination. There is no mystery, there is no quest. In short, immodest apparel does not actually achieve it's desired end.

Okay, I'm done ranting. You may now feel free to lambast me for my ignorance.

1 comment:

Josh Kellar said...

I agree, moddest is hottest.

~JK