Friday, November 17, 2006

Turning the Other Cheek

Yesterday was not a good day for me. Yesterday, I found out that someone had used my cell phone to make over $200 worth of phone calls to Nigeria. I called my cell phone company to report the fraud and they were less than helpful in resolving this problem. Evidently they are able to take off half the charge, but not the entire charge. I am grateful for the half, but still very disenchanted with CINGULAR WIRELESS :-( over the entire process.

Even more so than my less than helpful wireless provider, I found myself with large amounts of resentment, anger, and even rage toward my defrauder. At that moment of blissful, righteous anger I remembered Jesus' words from the sermon on the mount. "If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." At that moment the only turning I wanted to do was turning my cheek as I threw a devastating right hook into my opponent's face. Righteous anger is a fairly enjoyable place to be, and it was very difficult to want to take Jesus seriously.

The Sermon on the Mount is a very difficult piece of teaching to put into practice. In many situations, it is counter to human instinct.

2 comments:

Josh Kellar said...

So how were they able to make the call? Did they "borrow" your phone? Sorry to hear about that.

~JK

Unknown said...

I think that they "borrowed" my phone one night when I left it at the office.

H